Sign up for our Email Newsletter


Immigration Library

We provide the comprehensive on-line immigration law library...

Read More

Our Services

We are dedicated to provide all aspects of US immigration services and counseling...

Read More

Free Seminars

We are committed to educating those interested in learning U.S immigration laws ...

Read More

Limitations and Restrictions

It may happen that an alien spouse’s I-130 application reaches and is approved by the U.S. Consulate, before they immigrate to the U.S. In this scenario the K-3 visa will be immediately available to the applicant and they must immigrate as lawful permanent residents. If The K-3 alien spouse did not file concurrently with their K-4 children, and the K-4 child does not have an approved I-130, they will not be able to immigrate with their parent.

K-3 and K-4 visa holders are only admitted for 2 year periods. Extensions of status are permissible, and are granted for additional 2 year periods, as long as the I-130 visa petition or adjustment of status dependent upon the marriage, between the foreign spouse and the U.S. citizen spouse, is still pending.

A K-3 visa will automatically expire if either USCIS denies or revokes the I-130 petition, or USCIS denies an adjustment of status form (I-485) filed by the K-3 non-immigrant.

A K-4 non-immigrant visa issued for the minor children of a K-3 holder automatically expires when their K-3 parent’s visa expires.

A K-4 visa’s non-immigrant status automatically expires within 30 days if they marry.

K-4 and K-3 visa holders do not need Advance Parole documents unless their non-immigrant visa has expired or they have an adjustment of status (I-485) that is pending.

K-3 and K-4 visas are not eligible to change their non-immigrant visa status to another non-immigrant category.

K-4 and K-3 visa holders may apply for an EAD and use it to work in the US after their EAD is approved by the USCIS.


For more detailed information on K-3/K-4, including minimum requirements and USCIS policies, please click on the relevant links on this page: