Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is a document that authorizes an eligible alien to work in the U.S. for a temporary period of time, usually one year. It is also sometimes known as a work permit. The EAD, or work permit, is in the form of a laminated card with some basic information about the alien: the alien’s name and photo, birth date, sex, immigrant category, country of birth, alien registration number, card number, restrictive terms and conditions, and the card’s expiration date. With an EAD, an alien may legally work in the United States for any employer until the expiration date is reached.

An alien may be authorized to work for a specific employer even if he/she does not have an EAD.  For example, an alien with a valid employment status visa, such as an H-1B, L-1, L-2, or O-1, is able to work for a specific employer. There is no EAD card for such work authorization.

(Updated 10/10/2012 by AD)

For more information about the Employment Authorization Document (EAD), please click on one of the following topics below: