Sign up for our Email Newsletter


Immigration Library

We provide the professional
and comprehensive on-line immigration law library...

Read More

Our Services

We are dedicated to provide
all aspects of US immigration services and counseling...

Read More

Free Seminars

We are committed to educating those interested in learning U.S immigration laws ...

Read More

How do I extend my J-1 Status?

The J-1 program sponsor who issued the original Form IAP-66 (Certificate of Eligibility) may extend your J-1 Status by completing a new IAP-66 with the extended expiration date, provided the date falls within the maximum duration period and notifies the State Department of the change. It is NOT necessary to notify USCIS. This procedure applies only if your J-1 alien's I-94 Form (Departure-Arrival Record) is marked "D/S" or Duration of Status.

Special Extension for J-1 Professors and Research Scholars

J-1 Professors and Research Scholars are eligible to extend their stay for an additional six (6) months after the three-year maximum duration period provided that the extension is necessary in order for the alien to complete a specific project or research program. The granting of the extension falls wholly within the program sponsor's discretion and no State Department or USCIS approval is required.

J-1 Professors and Research Scholars are also eligible to extend their stay via the State Department. The State Department may authorize an extension beyond the three-year period if "exceptional and unusual" circumstances exist. The extension request should be made with Department of State within NINETY days prior to the expiration of the alien's three-year stay period.

For more information about J-1 visa, please refer to the following links: