Sign up for our Email Newsletter


Immigration Library

We provide the professional
and comprehensive on-line immigration law library...

Read More

Our Services

We are dedicated to provide
all aspects of US immigration services and counseling...

Read More

Free Seminars

We are committed to educating those interested in learning U.S immigration laws ...

Read More

What is the Benefit of a J-1 Visa?

Employment of Dependents

The J-1 visa is the only nonimmigrant visa that allows employment by dependants. J-1 holders' spouses and minor children (J-2 status) may accept employment with USCIS authorization, provided that their income is not used to support a J-1 holder.

J-2 holders who are applying for employment authorization should complete a Form I-765 along with a $180 filing fee. After obtaining an employment authorization document, the J-2 holder may accept offers from any employer within the authorized period. Current regulations provide that if the USCIS cannot complete the application review within 90 days after the application has been filed, an interim employment authorization period of 240 days must be granted.

For more information about J-1 visa, please refer to the following links: