Sign up for our Email Newsletter


Immigration Library

We provide the comprehensive on-line immigration law library...

Read More

Our Services

We are dedicated to provide all aspects of US immigration services and counseling...

Read More

Free Seminars

We are committed to educating those interested in learning U.S immigration laws ...

Read More

Application process for a K-1/K-2 Visa

There are different forms/procedures that must be followed to successfully complete a K-1/K-2 visa.

For the U.S. citizen:

In order to start the process, a U.S. citizen must petition on behalf of his/her fiancé/fiancée by completing the following steps:

  • To begin, file an I-129F with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility (USCIS P.O. Box 660867 Dallas, Texas 75266). In addition to this form, there is other supplemental information that must be submitted, including a G-325A and supporting documents that soundly prove your U.S. citizenship, ability to legally marry, compliance with International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA), etc. Upon receipt of this form and its supporting documents, USCIS will send you a receipt notice, indicating that the application was received.
  • After the I-129F has been approved, the USCIS then sends an approval notification to the National Visa Center. After being processed at the National Visa Center, documentation is then sent to the appropriate U.S. consulate or embassy for a K-1 visa application.
  • If your alien fiancé/fiancée has a child or children less than 21years of age that he/she would like to bring to the United States, then you must put their names on the I-129F form.

For the Alien Fiancé/Fiancée:

  • Once you receive a notice from the U.S. Consular Offices handling your case, fill out and submit all necessary documents.
  • Complete other supporting documents, such as: the DS-156, DS-156K, I-693 medical examination form, and I-134 Affidavit of Support and submit them to the US Consular Office abroad.
  • The U.S. consulate will set up an interview with you, the beneficiary alien. During the interview process, you will be subject to a digital fingerprint scan.
  • Complete a regular interview; here you will be asked questions about your relationship, i.e. how you met, when you plan to marry, etc. Be prepared to answer such questions.

For the K-2 child:

  • If the K-1 parent and U.S. citizen intend to marry before the K-2 holder turns 18, and the U.S. citizen petitioner may establish a legal “step-parent/child” relationship with the K-2 holder, then the U.S. citizen petitioner will also need to include the name of the K-2 child on the I-129F petition. The documents you must submit are very similar to that of a K-1.
  • The consulate will tell you exactly what steps need to be taken and depending on which one you go to, you may also have to schedule an interview.

(Updated 10/12/2012 by AD)

For more information on how to obtain a K-visa, please click on the following links: