Eligibility Requirements for a Change of Status to F-1 Status in the United States

If the alien is already in the U.S., he/she can change his/her non-immigrant status to F-1 status if he/shewould liketo pursue full-time academic studies in a college, university, seminar, conservatory, private academic high school, other academic institution, or language-training program.

However, not every alien is eligible to change his/her status to F-1 in the United States. Aliens who generally cannot apply for F-1 status are:

  1. Persons who are subject to the J-1 two year restriction of home country residence. For further information about J-1, please click here. However, a person subject to such restriction may apply for an F-1 visa through third country visa processing. For more information about third country visa processing, please click here.
  2. K-1 status holders: the fiancé(e) of a US citizen who enters into the U.S. holding a K-1 visa may not apply for a change to F-1 status. For further information about K-1 visa/status, please click here
  3. Visa Waiver Pilot Program visitors: This program exempts certain non-immigrants from the requirement of obtaining a visa for entry into the United States. For more information about Visa Waiver Pilot Program, please click here A Visa Waiver Pilot Program Visitor may not change his status to F-1 status in the U.S.
  4. C status holders: Any alien holding a C transit visa cannot apply for F-1 status;
  5. Transit visitors without visas: Visitors who are in transit in the U.S. without a visa cannot apply for F-1 status; or
  6. Aliens who entered into the U.S. without inspection or have been out of status (An exception applies in the case of F-1 Reinstatement). [8 C.F.R. 248.1(c)(1), 248.2]

Although an F-1 student present in the United States may be eligible to apply for a change of status, it is advised that an alien refrain from applying for a change of status within the first 90 days of his/her entry into the United States. (For more general information about Change of Status, click here.)This advisory is given because those on a valid F-1 non-immigrant visa/status are subject to the restrictions of non-immigrant intent.

The USCIS has discretion over the approval of COS applications and can deny applications if they are presumed fraudulent or if the alien has preconceived intent. Applications submitted between 0-30 days of entry are presumed as fraudulent; those submitted between 30-60 days could be denied on the basis of preconceived intent; those submitted between 60-90 days could also be denied on the basis of preconceived intent, but the alien would be able to dispute the claim; applications submitted after 90 days will have the best chance of approval from the USCIS. [INA 214] (For more information about Non-Immigrant/Immigrant intent issues, click here.)

While those aliens who are on a valid F-1 non-immigrant visa/status are subject to the non-immigrant intent provisions, there are certain non-immigrant visas/statuses that offer the alien “dual intent.” Under the dual intent doctrine, even though a non-immigrant must demonstrate the intent to remain in the U.S. only temporarily, he/she may have both a short-term intent to leave and a long-term intent to remain permanently or immigrate to the US. The Doctrine of Dual Intent is recognized by USCIS for the H, L, O, and K visa categories. [8 C.F.R. 214.2(h)(16), (l)(16), (o)(13)] For more information about the guidelines for dual intent visa holders, click here.

For more information about F-1 visas, please click on one of the following links:

Application Requirements for an F-1 Visa
Gaining F-1 status after obtaining an F-1 visa
Changing to F-1 Status While in the United States
Eligibility Requirements for a Change of Status to F-1 Status in the United States
Maintaining valid F-1 status
F-1 Student’s Change of Name and/or Address
Transfer of School
Transfer of Major
Time limitation of F-1 Status
Extension of F-1 Status
Grace Period
F-1 Status reinstatement
Employment Opportunities That Do Not Require Explicit USCIS Approval
Employment Opportunities That Require Explicit USCIS approval
Optional Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training
Change of Status from F-1 to H-1B
Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Immigrant Status
The Spouse and/or Children of an F-1 Student
Attorney and filing fees
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers about F-1 Visas/Statuses
The Impact of I-140 Filing on F-1 Students
Special Rules for Certain Border Commuter Students


Adjustment of Status | Adoption | Advance Parole | Application Fees | Asylum & Removal | Business Entities | Corporate Clients | Consular Processing | Divorce | E-1 & E-2 | EAD | F-1 | Family Immigration | FAQs | Forms | Investor Visa | Immigration Glossary |
K Visa
| L Visa | Marriage | Naturalization | Non-immigrant Visas | O-1 | Processing Time | Road to Green Card | TN | Visa Bulletin

"The best way to
predict your future is
simply to create it."
- Peter Drucker.

Copyright © 1999-2005. Zhang & Associates, P.C. All Rights Reserved
New York   Houston Chicago Austin Los Angeles  
Tel: 1.800.230.7040 • E-mail: info@hooyou.comPrivacy Policy