Description of E-1 (treaty trader) and E-2 (treaty investor)

The E category is designed for use by business owners, business managers, and employees who are required to stay in the United States for prolonged periods of time to oversee or work for an enterprise that is engaged in trade between the U.S. and a foreign country (E-1) or that represents a substantial investment in the United States (E-2).

The E category exists to give effect to various treaties between the United States and foreign states which provide for reciprocal benefits to nationals of each country who conduct trade between the two countries or who invest in the other country.

An individual who obtains E-status is granted an initial period of two years to remain in the United States. However, this period can be extended almost indefinitely so long as the E status holder declares that he or she will depart the United States when the period of authorized stay, including any unlimited extensions, terminates.

A foreign national can apply for an E visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad or, alternatively, they may apply for E status in the United States through the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The E nonimmigrant category is available only if a "treaty of commerce and navigation" or a "bilateral investment treaty" providing for nonimmigrant entries is in existence between the U.S. and the foreign country. Additionally, there are a few additional requirements that must be met before an individual can qualify for E-status. For more information about E-status, please click here.

For more information on the E-1, E-2 categrary, please click one of the following links:
What are E-1 and E-2?
What are the detailed requirements?
What are the application procedures?
What kind of information is needed for E-1 and E-2 applications?

Adjustment of Status | Adoption | Advance Parole | Application Fees | Asylum & Removal | Business Entities | Corporate Clients | Consular Processing | Divorce | E-1 & E-2 | EAD | F-1 | Family Immigration | FAQs | Forms | Investor Visa | Immigration Glossary |
K Visa
| L Visa | Marriage | Naturalization | Non-immigrant Visas | O-1 | Processing Time | Road to Green Card | TN | Visa Bulletin

"The best way to
predict your future is
simply to create it."
- Peter Drucker.

Copyright © 1999-2005. Zhang & Associates, P.C. All Rights Reserved
New York   Houston Chicago Austin Los Angeles  
Tel: 1.800.230.7040 • E-mail: info@hooyou.comPrivacy Policy