Procedure for obtaining an L-1 visa

Prepare the preliminary papers

The petition materials are comprised of three parts: 1. the petition form (form I-129 and the L Supplement); 2. the Supporting letter from the U.S. employer; 3. other evidence supporting the petition.

Submit papers

All papers, together with the correct filing fee of $320 + an additional $500 fee for fraud protection services, must be submitted to the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over the site of intended employment.

Visa Application

After obtaining an approval notice from USCIS, the employer can give it to the employee to take to a U.S. Consulate to apply for an L visa. The approval notice alone is not sufficient to allow the alien enter the United States; a valid visa is required for entry.

Change of Status

Another option for aliens in another non-immigration visa status is to apply for change of status without leaving to apply at a U.S. Consulate abroad. However, it is recommended that the alien transferee apply for a visa abroad instead of changing status as changing status may negatively affect future visa applications.

For more information on L visa, please refer to the following links: