L-2 Visas: Spouses and Children of L-1 Holders

Congratulations! You’ve been issued an L-1 visa and are on your way to the U.S. There’s just one question: what about the old ball and chain (also known as your spouse and kids)?

L-2 Overview

Thankfully, there’s no need to worry. You won’t have to leave your dependents behind if you do not wish to.

Because you are an L-1 beneficiary, your spouse and any unmarried children you may have under the age of 21 are eligible for L-2 visas. The L-2 classification allows L-1 dependents to live with L-1 holders in the United States for the duration of their stay.

L-2 Benefits

L-2 holders are able to attend school, but in order to work legally, they must apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). L-2 children, however, are not eligible for an EAD.

L-2 holders can also apply for other nonimmigrant statuses, including H-1, F-1, B-1, and B-2 visas, among others.

The L visa is a “dual intent” visa, meaning that it allows aliens to be temporarily present in the U.S. with the intention of perhaps permanently immigrating to the country. Therefore, L-2 holders can apply for immigrant visas without endangering their L status.

For more information on the L-1 category, refer to the following links:

Updated 05/18/2017