How to Apply for a Transit Visa (C Visa)

In order to apply for a C visa, the applicant must go through consular processing at a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad. For more information on consular processing, please click here.

Each applicant must submit the following forms in order to obtain a transit visa:

  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. There is a $160 visa processing fee. If the visa is issued, there will be an additional visa reciprocity fee, if applicable.
  • Passport valid for travel to the U.S. and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the U.S.
  • One 2x2 photograph in compliance with State Department requirements.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the U.S.
  • Evidence to show that the applicant has a residence abroad to which they intend to return at the end of their stay in the U.S.

It is important that traveler’s refer to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website in their country of residence to determine visa processing timeframes, instructions, learn about interview scheduling, and find out if there are any additional documentation items required.

For more detailed information about C Transit Visas, please visit one of the following topics: