P-2: Reciprocal Exchange Program Performer

The P-2 classification is designated for individual or group artists and/or entertainers who wish to come to the Unites States to perform under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in a country abroad. An example of this reciprocal interactioncould include a talent management organization and an organization in one or more foreign states that provides for the temporary exchange of artists and entertainers, or a group of artists and entertainers.

In order to qualify for a P-2 visa, the exchange of artists must be similar in terms of caliber of artists and entertainers, terms and conditions of employment (such as length of employment and number of individuals involved in the exchange). Additionally, aliens who qualify as essential support personnel may be granted P-2 classification so that they mayaccompany the artist or entertainer. Please see the P-Visa home page for more information on essential support personnel qualifications.

P-2 Application Process

Just as with all P-Visa petitions, the P-2’s sponsoring labor organization or U.S. employer must file a Form I-129 (Petition for a Non-Immigrant Worker) with the appropriate USCIS service center (USCIS Vermont Service Center 4 Lemnah Drive St. Albans, VT 05479-0001, USCIS Vermont Service Center 75 Lower Welden Street St. Albans, VT 05479-0001, or USCIS California Service Center P.O. Box 10825 Laguna Niguel, CA 92607), along with the $325 application fee and required supporting documentation:

  • A writtenconsultation by an appropriate labor organization describing the work or services to be performed in the U.S. and the alien’s qualifications for such work. However, if no appropriate labor organization exists, then this requirement will be excused;
  • A copyof the formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the sponsoring U.S. organization(s) and the organization(s) in a foreign country which will receive the U.S. artist or entertainer;
  • A statementfrom the sponsoring organization describing the reciprocal exchange of United States artists or entertainers as it relates to the specific petition for which classification is sought;
  • Evidence that you and the U.S. artist or entertainer subject to the reciprocal exchange agreement are artists with comparable skills and that the terms and conditions of employment are similar; and
  • Evidence that an appropriate labor organization in the United States was involved in negotiating, or has concurred with, the reciprocal exchange of U.S. and foreign artists or entertainers.

Additionally, if the events or performances will take place in multiple areas, an itinerary listing the dates and locations of the events must be included with the petition.

Once the I-129 petition has been approved, the alien may then apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate for a P-2 visa, which will allow them to request admission into the United States at a port of entry. Once they have been admitted they will be in valid P-2 status.

The initial period of stay granted to a P-2 nonimmigrant is the time needed to complete the event, competition or performance in the United States, which is not to exceed one year. Extensions of stay may be granted in increments of up to one year in order to continue or complete the event, competition or performance.

Family members (spouses and minor children) of P-2 nonimmigrants are eligible to apply for P-4 status and accompany the P-2 holderto the United States. P-4 holders, however, are not permitted to legally work while in the United States, but may attend school or college.

For more information about P-Visas, please click on one of the following links: