Who is Eligible to Apply for Advance Parole?

Aliens in the United States may apply for Advance Parole if they have:

  • An application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) pending;
  • Been admitted as a refugee or have been granted asylum;
  • Been granted benefits under the Family Unity Program;
  • Been granted Temporary Protected Status;
  • An asylum application pending; or
  • An emergent personal or bona fide reason to travel temporarily abroad.

Aliens in the United States are not eligible for Advance Parole if they are:

  • In the United States without a valid immigration status;
  • In possession of a previously issued reentry permit or refugee travel document which is still valid, unless it was returned to USCIS or it is demonstrated that it was lost;
  • An exchange alien subject to the foreign residence requirement;
  • The beneficiary of a private bill; or
  • Under removal proceedings.

For more detailed information on Advance Parole, please visit on one of the following topics: