Required Documents

Application can be made in the U.S. or at a U.S. consulate outside the U.S.

1. Application within the United States:

  • Documentation showing the amount and nature of the investment, including a breakdown of any expenses advanced to the U.S. company, capital or other contributions, and any other investment in the U.S. company;

  • Documentation showing that the total investment amount is appropriate for the nature of the business entered into;

  • List of stockholders in the company and their percentage holdings, along with their nationality;

  • Documentation about the company, showing that it has been and remains viable and active;

  • List of all current and planned employees for the company for the next two years, including position, citizenship, and visa status for any employees who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents;

  • A copy of the stock certificate or other proof that showing that the parent company owns more than 50% of the U.S. corporation;

  • Financial statements and any other documentation showing that the U.S. company is a viable, operating business and any information as to revenue, staffing, and future plans which is available.

  • Passport;

  • Complete resume, providing detail as to the applicant's qualifications for a position supervising or managing the investment and details as to the applicant's responsibilities in his or her current position;

  • Educational Credentials.

The business enterprise must also provide documentation establishing the fact that it meets the E-2 requirements. Examples of such documentation would include:

(1) The company's annual report;

(2) the company's Articles of Incorporation, Articles of Organization, etc.;

(3) an independent report from a reputable accounting firm regarding the dollar volume of trade over the last five years;

(4) an accountant's statement for the parent company;

(5) an accountant's statement for the U.S. based company;

(6) a certified statement from the company's accountant or corporate secretary on stock ownership;

(7) contracts showing an ongoing need and existing market for merchandise sold or services provided;

(8) IRS Form 941 showing the number of employees on the payroll (for an existing U.S. enterprise);

(9) bills of lading, customs receipts, letters of credit, insurance papers documenting commodities imported, purchase orders, carrier inventories, etc., in lieu of an annual report, should the company be too small to produce an annual report.

2. Application from outside the United States

If applying for a visa at a US consulate outside of the United States, the applicant should complete forms DS-156 and DS-156E, and present them in person at the consulate, together with documentation that will clearly establish his or her eligibility for the visa. A separate form OF-156 should be completed for each accompanying family member.
Each applicant for the visa must pay a nonrefundable US$100 application fee and submit:

1) A DS-156E application form, completed and signed. Blank forms are available without charge at all U.S. consular offices;

2) A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States. If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must make an application;

3) One (1) 2x2 photograph.

4) All male nonimmigrant visa applicants between the ages of 16 and 45, regardless of nationality and regardless of where they apply, must complete and submit a form DS-157 in addition to the Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-156E).

For more information on the E-2 category, please click one of the following links:
Duration of E-2 visa, Stay and Extension
Visa Re-issuance
Terms and conditions of an E-2 visa
Family Benefits
U.S. Port of Entry
Change to E-2 classification in the United States
USCIS Processing Time
The timescale for us to prepare for an E-2 application
Attorney fee
Change to Other Non-immigrant Status
Frequently Asked Questions About E-2 Visa

Adjustment of Status | Adoption | Advance Parole | Application Fees | Asylum & Removal | Business Entities | Corporate Clients | Consular Processing | Divorce | E-1 & E-2 | EAD | F-1 | Family Immigration | FAQs | Forms | Investor Visa | Immigration Glossary |
K Visa
| L Visa | Marriage | Naturalization | Non-immigrant Visas | O-1 | Processing Time | Road to Green Card | TN | Visa Bulletin

"The best way to
predict your future is
simply to create it."
- Peter Drucker.

Copyright © 1999-2005. Zhang & Associates, P.C. All Rights Reserved
New York   Houston Chicago Austin Los Angeles  
Tel: 1.800.230.7040 • E-mail: info@hooyou.comPrivacy Policy