Travel abroad when in L status

Individuals in L-1 status (L-1A or L-1B) who wish to travel outside the United States for brief periods of time but whose visa has expired face a risk: that they won't be able to return the United States once they conclude their visit abroad, since they lack a visa allowing for their return to the United States. To alleviate this problem, individuals in L-1 status are, in certain circumstances, allowed to obtain a new visa without leaving the country through the State Department's visa revalidation procedure. Specifically, L-1 visa holders who are in valid status, whose passport will be valid for at least six months, and whose original L visa has a remaining validity of 60 days or less or has expired within the last 12 months, can obtain a new L visa without leaving the country by applying for revalidation (renewal) of the L visa at the U.S. State Department. If you want to know more about visa revalidation, please click here.

If you are not eligible for the visa revalidation procedure, the use of designated U.S. consulates in Mexico or Canada is especially suited for such applications, since, as long as the candidate is in valid status, they can return to the U.S. from Mexico or Canada regardless of whether the visa is ultimately issued or not. Of course, even if L visa holders are eligible for the visa revalidation procedure, they may still apply for a Third Country Visa. In fact, such individuals may prefer doing this, since the third country visa processing is expedited.
If you want to know more about Thrid Country Visa, please click here.

For more information on L visa, please click on the following links:
Benefits of L visa
Requirements for L visa
Procedure for obtaining an initial L visa
Obtain and maintain an L visa
Travel abroad when in L status
Change from L Status to other Status
Documents and Information Needed
Services that We Provide
Attorney and Filing Fees for L Visa
Memo: Be Aware of Abandonment of COS and AOS Applications

Adjustment of Status | Adoption | Advance Parole | Application Fees | Asylum & Removal | Business Entities | Corporate Clients | Consular Processing | Divorce | E-1 & E-2 | EAD | F-1 | Family Immigration | FAQs | Forms | Investor Visa | Immigration Glossary |
K Visa
| L Visa | Marriage | Naturalization | Non-immigrant Visas | O-1 | Processing Time | Road to Green Card | TN | Visa Bulletin

"The best way to
predict your future is
simply to create it."
- Peter Drucker.

Copyright © 1999-2005. Zhang & Associates, P.C. All Rights Reserved
New York   Houston Chicago Austin  
Tel: 1.800.230.7040 • E-mail: info@hooyou.comPrivacy Policy